Sunday, March 23, 2014

Theme for Lent 2014

My word for 2014 is Explore, so beneath my lenten practices this year, I want to use the daily prayer practice of Examen to sift through and become of aware of what brings me closer to God and increase those practices - and what leads me away from God and nibble away at eliminating those practices. What aries immediately to the latter is my habit of procrastination and the many niggling things I put off doing daily. Paperwork is my nemesis. I used to admire my husband - upon going through daily mail, he paid bills, immediately filed receipts he needed to keep for tax or other purposes and then trashed the remainder. I end up with sacks or boxes of "papers" I keep "just because." As I ponder on this, I wonder if these stacks of clutter are a reflexion of the inner clutter of who I am? And is it a way of hiding from what I need to clear internally? If there are too many internal distractions, it may keep me from addressing serious issues that I need to look at and discard. So maybe if I copy my husband's model of how to handle paperwork, it will be a good habit to get into with the outside clutter. And then apply it to the interior clutter in the same way - bite off a little each day.

No comments:

Post a Comment